The Happy Kitchen
A program of Sustainable Food Center
The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre™, a nationally recognized cooking and nutrition education program, aids individuals and institutions in making lasting dietary and behavioral changes.
Offering innovative, theory-based, cost-effective solutions to chronic food and nutrition problems impacting individuals and families in Central Texas, SFC's The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre™ cooking and nutrition education program:
- Teaches skills and self-sufficiency in preparing healthy, economical meals that consist of whole grains, fresh produce and low-saturated fat ingredients.
- Affects positive changes in shopping, cooking, eating habits and nutrition.
- Reduces diet-related diseases (diabetes, overweight, obesity, heart-disease, cancer, etc.).
- Promotes the health and development of young children.
- Places emphasis on local, seasonal and cultural appropriate foods.
- Integrates food systems concepts into it's curriculum such as shopping at farmers' markets and growing one's own food.