- 6 medium beets, or 4 large, with their greens
- 2 teaspoons plus 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-pound baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 2-3 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds or pecans
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon torn cilantro leaves (optional)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Trim the beets, leaving 1/2 inch of the top and tail, then wrap them in foil and put them on a cookie sheet. Bake until they are tender, about 40 minutes, depending on their size.
Meanwhile, wash the beet greens and strip the leaves from the stems. Roughly shred the leaves and toss with the spinach. Set aside.
In a large salad bowl, whisk the water, balsamic vinegar, and a generous pinch of sea salt together. Stir in the toasted nuts.
Once the beets are cooked, remove the foil and let them cool slightly. Using a spoon or gloved hands, peel the beets (skins should slip off easily). Cut the beets into 1-inch dice. While they are still warm, add them to the vinaigrette and add ½ the cilantro if using. Pile the spinach and beet greens on top of the beets.
Heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a small pan.
Once the oil is hot and shimmering, pour immediately all over the greens. Quickly toss together--the hot oil will wilt the tender greens. Serve immediately.