If you're the sort to listen to your mother, you know how important breakfast is. Finding the time to make it happen, though, can be a challenge now that we're all grown up. Eating a healthy breakfast provides a foundation for making smart food choices all day and offers energy for physical activity and smart thinking. There are lots of choices out there--a little pre-planning can help to make sure you're making the right ones. With a few go-to ideas in your toolkit, you'll be ready to meet the challenges of the day every day!
Read on for five healthy grab-and-go breakfast ideas from The Happy Kitchen
- Make it easy - keep a full bowl of fruit on the kitchen counter or in the fridge for the world's easiest, most portable fast food!
- Think protein - Boil 5-10 eggs at beginning of the week, keep them in the fridge, and grab 1 or 2 in the morning for protein. You can even just peel off the top part of the shell and eat the hard boiled egg right out of a shell with a spoon.
- Layer it - Make yogurt parfaits layered with fresh fruit in to-go containers and store in fridge overnight; make up bags or small jars of granola to accompany.
- Blend & go - Toss ½ cup yogurt, ½ cup rice/almond/soy milk in fridge in the blender container the night before and keep in fridge overnight. In the morning, add ½ cup frozen berries or other frozen fruit + 1 banana. Blend and sprinkle granola or rolled oats on top for extra energy and protein.
- Think ahead - Cook steel cut oats, then divide into 1 cup portions in containers and store in fridge. Grab a container, add some milk (dairy or non), fresh fruit, a handful of nuts, and a teaspoon of honey and go!