Looking for a refreshing summer salad, or a dish to share at a potluck? Check out this seasonal recipe that we’ve adapted from one of our favorite cookbook authors, Rebecca Katz’s book, One Bite at a Time
Bulgur Salad with Tomatoes, Cucumbers and Mint
- 1½ cup bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, or halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 small cucumbers (optional: peel, seeded and diced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 green onions, green parts only, finely chopped, for garnish
Place bulgur in large bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap and let stand 20-30 minutes, until water is absorbed.
Stir in the cumin and coriander, fluff with a fork and then spread onto a sheet pan to cool.
In a large bowl, combine mint, cucumbers, tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Add the bulgur and mix with a fork.
Chill for at least two hours. Taste and adjust lemon and salt as needed. Serve garnished with chopped green onions.