Permits Needed to Sell at Farmers Markets

Selling at our SFC Farmers’ Markets requires permits issued by local public health authorities. We have done our best to compile information to help you navigate through the permitting process. Find your product in the lines below to learn more about the permits that apply to you.

Please keep in mind that permits are issued per Jurisdiction and are not transferable. You will only need one permit to operate within that jurisdiction.

For the official rulings regarding permits, visit the City of Austin's Farmers Market Website>>>

Fruits, Vegetables, and other Raw Agricultural Products

Whole, uncut, raw agricultural products do not need a farmers’ market permit. Click here to learn more about Austin Public Health’s permit exemptions.


Selling frozen meat at the markets requires a Class A permit issued by Austin Public Health. Be sure to list the Central Preparation Facility used as the place where you store your product in between markets. Click here to learn more about and apply for a Class A permit.


A Class A permit is necessary to sell eggs at both of our markets. Vendors at the SFC Farmers’ Market Downtown are exempt from paying an application fee, as the City waives fees for farmers selling eggs within the City of Austin. Vendors at the SFC Farmers’ Market at Sunset Valley are not exempt from paying Class A permit fees. Click here to learn more about and apply for a Class A permit.

Non-Edible Plants

Selling non-edible plants at Farmers' Markets requires a Class M Nursery Floral License issued by the Texas Department of Agriculture. You can apply online at the TDA Website.

Ready to Eat Foods and Drinks.

If you are selling consumable ready to eat products to the public, you are required to have a Class A or B farmers’ market permit. Please be sure to check out the Austin Public Health website to learn more about the requirements for the type of permit that you need.

The Texas Cottage Food Law

Texas’ cottage food law allows people to sell shelf stable food products made in their kitchens directly to the public without having to get a food manufacturers’ license, use a commercial kitchen, or be subject to inspections by the state or local health departments.

The list of items that fall under the cottage law and its regulations can be found at the Austin Public Health site.

If you have questions regarding the Texas Cottage Law and its most recent changes, the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance website has further details and additional resources.

Sampling at the Farmers Market

Vendors can prepare and provide samples on-site so long as they meet some basic sanitation requirements:

  • Samples must be distributed in a sanitary manner.
  • A person preparing produce samples on-site must either wear clean, disposable plastic gloves while, or wash their hands in soap and water prior to, preparing the samples.
  • Potable water must be available for washing.

Utensils and cutting surfaces used for cutting samples must be smooth, nonabsorbent, and easily cleaned or disposed of.