Spring and summer in Central Texas mean carrots and beets! Make this refreshing, seasonal salad as a light side to any locally-sourced meal.
Shredded Carrot and Beet Salad
From The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz, Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (about half an orange)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup peeled and shredded beets (about 2 beets)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, ginger, and salt until thoroughly combined.
In a large bowl, combine carrots and beets. Pour the juice mixture over the carrots and beets and stir to coat.
Top the salad with chopped mint.
For a prettier presentation, you may choose to add dressing to the carrots and beets separately, and put the carrots on one side of the serving bowl and the beets on the other.