From The Happy Kitchen Cookbook, Fresh Seasonal Recipes. Makes 3 cups.
- 1 cup brown rice*
- 2¼ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Rinse the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- In a medium saucepan with a well-fitting lid, combine the rice and water. Choose a heavy-bottomed saucepan, if possible.
- Cover the saucepan and bring the water and rice to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the flame down to low and let cook for 45 minutes. Do not lift the lid during this time! This is very important, as the steam will escape and the rice will not cook completely.
- When the 45 minutes are up, turn the flame off and let the rice sit, covered, for 10 minutes. The rice will cook a little more with the steam in the pot. Again, it is important to not lift the lid!
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Add salt.
*Choose short- or medium-grain brown rice for dishes like risotto or rice pudding that have a creamier texture. Choose long-grain brown rice for salads, pilafs, or fried rice.
For fluffier rice that is easier to digest, let the rice soak in the water overnight before cooking.