Ripe, heavy, and dripping with juice: summer eating's all about the tomato. At the markets these days, you'll find all manner of lovely specimens--cherries, heirlooms, slicers, and canners. And with temperatures finally approaching summer's highs, we're loving this recipe that makes the most of their flavor and health benefits without so much as turning on the stove. Combined with other cooling powerhouse produce (think cool, crunchy cucumbers and sweet melon), balanced with the salty tang of feta cheese and brightened with fresh mint, this is a salad you'll enjoy all summer long!
TOMATO & WATERMELON SALAD WITH FETA
- 1 small seedless watermelon, peeled (or about 6 c cubed watermelon)
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded if desired
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 T white balsamic vinegar
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 c fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
Cut the watermelon, tomatoes and cucumber into chunks and gently toss together. Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the mixture, sprinkle with the cheese.