You might or might not have a jar of homemade sauerkraut in the fridge. If you don't and you want one,The Happy Kitchen and Hip Girl Kate Payne can help you remedy that! No matter, whether you make your own or pick up a jar at the SFC Farmers' Market (check out Indian Hills, Hat Creek Pickles or go wild and rogue with Oh Kimchi!), grab some mushrooms too to make this super quick, deeply satisfying, good-enough-for-supper sandwich. If all this sauerkraut talk has you wanting more, check outthis post for more genius ideas for probiotic sauerkraut!
For each sandwich:
- 1/3 c. sauteed mushrooms (use crimini, white button, portobello, shiitake or a mixture)
- 3 Tbs. sauerkraut or kimchi
- 2 Tbs. Russian dressing (homemade if possible--see recipe below)
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 2 slices rye or whole wheat bread
- butter or olive oil for the skillet
Spread bread slices with Russian dressing and pile on mushrooms, cheese and sauerkraut. Grill on both sides over medium heat until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- 1/3 c. best-quality mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. ketchup
- 1 Tbs. minced parsley
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 tsp. minced capers (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.