Serves 4, Time: Prep 20 min, Cook: 1hr
- 2lbs mix of lamb shoulder and stew meat
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large red onion (chopped fine)
- 1-2 green chillies (preferably thai green chillies)
- 3” piece of ginger (grated)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (grated)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1-½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ cup fresh coriander (chopped roughly)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 cups organic spinach (chopped roughly)
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
1. Wash the lamb in cool water and pat dry with paper towels. Add 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, and ½ tsp cumin powder. Mix well and allow the lamb to marinate in thefridge for 2hrs - overnight.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and green chillies with about ½ tsp salt. Saute until the onions are transparent. Add the ginger and garlic and saute until the onions have browned slightly. Keep mixing so that the ginger and garlic don’t stick to the pot.
3. Add the remaining turmeric, red chilli, cumin, and coriander powders. Saute for two minutes until the spices begin to release their flavors. Add the garam masala and saute for another minute.
4. Stir in the tomato paste and add a little water to thin it out, and turn down the heat to medium-low. Let the tomato paste to cook, adding water as needed to make sure it doesn’t dry out. Add the fresh coriander and cook for 3-4 minutes until you get a nice red masala base.
5. Mix in the lamb until all the pieces are well-coated with the masala. Cover and cook until the lamb is almost done. Add the spinach and continue to cook until the lamb is fully cooked, making sure to stir the pot every so often. The lamb will take about 30-40 min to fully cook.
6. Once the lamb has released all its juices, check the salt adding more if needed. Stir in the lime juice and turn off the heat. Allow the lamb to sit for a couple of hours before serving so that it can continue to absorb the spices.
7. Serve warm over basmati rice or chapatis.