We made our Chicken and Celery Salad with chickpeas instead of chicken. Delicious!
Chickpea and Celery Salad
From The Happy Kitchen’s Fresh, Seasonal Recipes cookbook
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh chile, finely chopped
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper (optional)
In a medium bowl, mix together the onion and garlic.
Stir in the lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, thyme and chile.
Add the chickpeas and mash with a fork or potato masher until about three-quarters of them are mashed. You want a consistency that will hold together but still has texture.
Add celery and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note: This recipe tastes best if is allowed to sit for a few hours before serving.