SFC Farmers’ Market, Food Access Associate, Seasonal
We are seeking an hourly bilingual Food Access Associate to work on-site at SFC Farmers’ Markets on Food Access programming, including the SFC Double Dollars Project (DD), WIC, SNAP and FMNP programs. Duties will include interacting with clients to conduct and record transactions and providing information to clients about using their benefits at farmers’ markets.
Availability to work on Saturday mornings from 8:30am – 1:00pm is required.
Currently we are seeking a Seasonal Food Access Associates to assist the Double Dollars booth during the FMNP season. The Associate can expect to work at least two Saturdays each month and to also serve as an alternate when other Associates are not available to work regular Saturdays. In this instance, Associates will receive advanced notice to confirm availability.
This is a seasonal position that is available starting in May and ending in September.
Conduct exchange with Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP –formerly food stamps) clients:
- Process SNAP and WIC transactions at market.
- Distribute DDIP program matching benefits in the form of paper scrip which can then be redeemed for fruits and vegetables.
- Track the DDIP program participants by asking brief questions of customers and entering their responses into a laptop on-site.
- Distribute general information about the markets and about Sustainable Food Center programming.
Distribute Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) benefits to Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) clients, seasonally May – Sept:
- Review WIC client’s proof of eligibility to receive FMNP benefits.
- Distribute FMNP benefits in the form of paper vouchers which can be redeemed for eligible fruits and vegetables.
- Record distribution of FMNP vouchers to WIC clients in the FMNP Issuance log.
- Inform clients on how to use FMNP vouchers at farmers’ markets.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- High school education or equivalency required.
- Bilingual English/Spanish fluency (oral as primary communication).
- Experience working with economically disadvantaged and ethnically diverse communities.
- Adaptability to a fast-paced environment while conducting transactions and communications as efficiently as possible.
- Proficient in using a computer for data entry, including MS Office applications
- Strong organizational skills and customer service skills.
- Availability to work first Saturdays and other Saturdays with advanced notice
- Reliable transportation to SFC Farmers’ Market
SFC is an equal opportunity employer and values racial, gender, and cultural equity on our staff and in our community. In fulfillment of our commitment to racial diversity among our staff, we strongly encourage people of color to apply. This is a part-time position at 4.5 hours per market. Two Saturdays a month are required, other Saturdays as needed. The duties require direct engagement with customer base. The position is available starting May 11th, 2019.