Development & Communications Intern
We are looking for a motivated intern who is eager to gain experience in nonprofit fundraising and communications.
Founded in 1993, with roots dating back to 1975 as Austin Community Gardens, Sustainable Food Center (SFC) is involved in every step of our local, Central Texas, food system. Our mission is to cultivate a just and regenerative food system so people and the environment can thrive.
Why intern at SFC?
At SFC, we are passionate about our work and share a commitment to expanding access to locally grown food raised with integrity and care, for all members of our community. Join us if you are driven to build and create lasting change that supports people and the planet.
We’re on a journey
SFC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity on our staff and in our community. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels comfortable bringing their full, authentic selves to work. To that end, we have organized multiple all-staff trainings, created internal working groups that celebrate our diverse community, and integrated equity principles into every aspect of our work.
We uphold the following Core Values:
- Connectedness: We are community-focused and believe that relationships are powerful tools for building community.
- Equity: We support the right of all people to grow, access, sell, and consume healthy and culturally-appropriate food produced through ecologically sound and regenerative methods.
- Sustainability: We know humans have a profound responsibility to treat our planet with care and respect, and we are committed to ensuring that diverse species may thrive on Earth for generations to come.
Our Development & Communications Team is looking for someone eager to gain experience in nonprofit fundraising and communications. The Development & Communications Intern will report to the Development Officer and work across the department and the organization to complete assigned tasks and projects relating to fundraising events, marketing, development, and communications. This intern will gain valuable work experience and will contribute to SFC’s effort to communicate our vision and create champions for our cause.
This is a part-time paid internship at 10 hours per week. Currently, all SFC staff and interns are working from home due to the pandemic. Leading up to SFC’s spring fundraising event, this role will require some in person work at the SFC office (with safety being the first priority).
- Help plan, coordinate, and participate in special events, particularly SFC’s annual spring fundraiser
- Utilize the Raiser’s Edge donor database, manage data entry and analysis related to SFC’s fundraising goals and strategies, and help coordinate donor stewardship activities.
- Research and conduct outreach to prospective donors (including individuals, foundation grants, and corporate sponsors)
- Assist with content curation and development as it relates to SFC’s communications goals, including social media and marketing strategies
- Assist the Development & Communications staff with ongoing tasks and projects
- Participate in monthly team meetings
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and training as time is available
You are eager to learn about the development and communications function of non-profit organizations. You are professional, organized, and motivated. This role includes mainly behind the scenes work with some outward-facing opportunities, providing support to several initiatives across the team. You will thrive in this role if you are a team player, comfortable taking direction, and working collaboratively with diverse stakeholders. You strive to maintain clear communication and a positive attitude.
You will also bring expertise and demonstrated capacity in:
- Degree, coursework, or relevant experience in Non-Profit Management, English, Communications, Marketing, Business Administration, or other related fields
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities
- Organized and able to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, & other Cloud-based office tools (Google Suite, e.g.)
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop & InDesign a plus
- Ability and comfort in representing Sustainable Food Center publicly
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
Eligibility & Benefits:
Internships at SFC are hourly wage positions at $15/hour, except for students who are able to apply for a work-study program that is 100% funded by the institution.
Timing, Duration & Hours Requirements :
Start on January 19th, 2021, through the end of May 2021. Interns will work with supervisor to establish a regular weekly work schedule of 10 hours per week.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject title Development & Communications Intern. Within your cover letter, tell us about your lived experience working with diverse communities. No phone calls, please.