Seasonal West Texas Food Access Associate
SFC is seeking a seasonal, hourly Food Access Associate to support food access programs at farm-direct sites in the Lubbock area. Position is open May through October.
Founded in 1993, with roots dating back to 1975 as Austin Community Gardens, Sustainable Food Center (SFC) is involved in every step of our local, Central Texas, food system. Our mission is to transform the food system to nourish our health, land and livelihood.
Why work at SFC?
At SFC, we are passionate about our work and share a commitment to expanding access to locally grown food raised with integrity and care, for all members of our community. Join us if you are driven to build and create lasting change that supports people and the planet.
We’re on a journey
SFC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity on our staff and in our community. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels comfortable bringing their full, authentic selves to work. To that end, we have organized multiple all-staff trainings, created internal working groups that celebrate our diverse community, and integrated equity principles into every aspect of our work.
We uphold the following Core Values:
Integrity: We take pride in what we do and hold ourselves accountable to one another and the communities we serve by being transparent, following through on commitments, and communicating outcomes to all stakeholders.
Courage: We lead the way in transforming our food system by taking risks and implementing innovative approaches to achieve our vision. We embody a growth mindset and view setbacks as opportunities to learn and deepen our collaboration with others.
Equity: We are working every day to ensure the right of all people to access, grow, and consume nutritious and culturally relevant food. We acknowledge that our food system has been built on systems of oppression and prioritize serving marginalized communities and promoting inclusion through our work.
Community: We center the voices, priorities, and wellbeing of the communities we serve in our work. We elevate community member input by providing open channels for feedback and collaboration.
This is a part-time position at 15-20 hours per week. Required availability every Saturday from 8:30 AM - 2:00 PM, rain or shine, June through October and 2-3 weekday shifts, TBD.
SFC is seeking a seasonal, hourly Food Access Associate to support food access programs at farm-direct sites in the Lubbock area. Position is open May through October. Duties will include support of program operations at weekly community events, including, but not limited to outdoor farmers’ markets and outdoor WIC Clinics, interacting with customers/participants and vendors, issuing benefits, conducting and recording transactions, and providing information to clients about SFC’s food access programs and food nutrition benefits at farmers’ markets.
Support operations and community outreach for nutrition incentive programs and benefit programs on-site, in community settings, and at SFC Lubbock office location
- Administer and distribute SNAP benefits and incentives (Double Up Food Bucks)
- Record vendor redemption and reimbursements for SNAP benefits and incentives
- Administer and distribute Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) benefits to Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) clients
- Record FMNP voucher distribution to WIC clients in FMNP issuance log
- Help organize and run outreach and engagement activities such as social media engagement, flyer distributions, cooking demonstrations, and tabling at conferences, farmers markets and grocery stores
- Other duties, as needed
You love to be outdoors and connecting with your community. You have a passion for or an interest in social work, health, and/or food and nutrition, you enjoy interacting with and helping people, and you are excited about supporting our local farmers and food producers.
You will also bring expertise and demonstrated capacity in:
Regular and reliable availability on Saturdays, May through October
- Bilingual and biliterate (English/Spanish) preferred
- Strong customer service skills and desire to work within diverse communities
- Reliable transportation to work sites
- 18+ years of age
- Able to safely lift 40+ pounds
- Comfortable working outdoors
- Able to interact with vendors and customers in a positive and professional manner
- Experience working on a diverse team
- Experience working with economically disadvantaged and ethnically diverse communities
- Adaptability in a fast-paced environment while conducting transactions and communications as efficiently as possible
- Proficient in using a computer and tablets for data entry, including MS Office application
This is a part-time hourly position with a starting wage of $19.82 per hour. The position is available starting May 25, 2023.
Please email your resume and two references to email@example.com with the subject title: “WTX PT Food Access Associate”.
Applications accepted until May 22, 2023. No phone calls accepted or returned.