Farmers’ Market Social Media Associate
SFC is seeking one part-time Farmers’ Market Social Media Associate to advertise and promote SFC’s weekly Saturday markets.
Founded in 1993, with roots dating back to 1975 as Austin Community Gardens, Sustainable Food Center (SFC) is involved in every step of our local, Central Texas, food system. Our mission is to cultivate a just and regenerative food system so people and the environment can thrive.
Why work at SFC?
At SFC, we are passionate about our work and share a commitment to expanding access to locally grown food raised with integrity and care, for all members of our community. Join us if you are driven to build and create lasting change that supports people and the planet.
We’re on a journey
SFC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity on our staff and in our community. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels comfortable bringing their full, authentic selves to work. To that end, we have organized multiple all-staff trainings, created internal working groups that celebrate our diverse community, and integrated equity principles into every aspect of our work.
We uphold the following Core Values:
Connectedness: We are community-focused and believe that relationships are powerful tools for building community.
Equity: We support the right of all people to grow, access, sell, and consume healthy and culturally-appropriate food produced through ecologically sound and regenerative methods.
Sustainability: We know humans have a profound responsibility to treat our planet with care and respect, and we are committed to ensuring that diverse species may thrive on Earth for generations to come.
This is a part-time position at 8 hours per week. Regular and reliable availability on Saturdays is required.
With support from the Farmers’ Market Programming Manager, the Social Media Associate will execute on marketing campaigns by creating content for the SFC Farmers’ Markets various social media channels. Promote consumption of nutritionally dense, locally grown, and culturally relevant foods to a wide audience of folks every week with captivating photos, videos, and stories.
- Ensure regular content is available to followers with daily Instagram posts and weekly Facebook posts
- Plan and publish relevant links and stories to SFC Farmers’ Market Instagram and Facebook channels at least once a week per platform
- Create original content including photos, videos, reels, interviews, and stories
- Engage with followers, farmers, and influencers across social platforms including reposting, liking and responding to posts
- Assist Programming Manager in monitoring discussions, posts, comments and messages across multiple platforms
- Attend one of SFC’s two farmers' markets on a weekly basis to take photos, interview vendors, and post live stories or videos
- Coordinate with Programming Manager to ensure at market social media coverage of events, activities, and sponsorships
- Plan with Programming Manager and execute on promotional and seasonal marketing campaigns
- Attend monthly meetings with Programming Manager to plan campaigns and content
- Represent SFC professionally with vendors, customers, and volunteers
- Act as advocate for SFC’s work
While the responsibilities and tasks displayed in this job posting cover many of the required tasks, please consider that this role is dynamic and ever changing.
You are a people person and a connector. You are energized by meeting new people and sharing their stories – including farmers, ranchers, artisans, small business owners, and community members. You are a person who enjoys creative projects and independent work. You have a high degree of initiative, flexibility, and organization. You value equity, diversity, and justice.
If you believe that well executed social media can be the avenue for education, engagement, and relationship building then we want you!
Pay starts at $20.00 per hour.
- Regular and reliable availability on Saturdays required
- Midweek availability required
- Able to manage your own time and still be consistent and able to meet deadlines
- Understanding of the digital landscape and an ease interacting with social media applications
- Demonstrated ability to take captivating photos and create compelling stories
- A flexible and problem solving attitude
- Must own smartphone with a good camera
- Able to interact with vendors and customers in a positive and professional manner
- Good team ethic and sense of humor
- Available for mandatory crew meetings, held once every 3 months after markets
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your skills, experience, and alignment with the role. If you do not have some of the listed qualifications, or you need accommodations to perform your job duties please reach out!
Note: With the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, it is important to note that this position requires public interaction. Even with the safety precautions, there is still a degree of risk involved and so we strongly encourage you to take this into consideration before applying.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and portfolio (3 sample Instagram posts, 2 sample Facebook posts, and other relevant projects) to FarmersMarket@sustainablefoodcenter.org with the subject title: Farmers’ Market Social Media Associate.
Applications accepted until filled. No phone calls accepted or returned.